- Get listed, with a link to your site in local or category-specific directories. Local directories include Yahoo! Local, Google Places, and Yelp. To find category directories, do a web search for <your topic> directory. For example, if you’re a realtor, try Kansas City realtor directory, or Brookside business directory.
- Be sure each page has a unique title that makes sense out of context, and fits in about 60 characters.
- Take a few minutes to summarize your page content via the page/meta description. Do so in about 160 characters.
- Make your web content conversational. Be sure it answers your visitors questions. A great book on writing for the web is Letting Go of the Words: Writing Web Content that Works. I also have a post on Writing for the Web.
Agenda for SEO 101
- SEO & why it’s important
- SEO Factors
- Tools for SEO
- SEO & WordPress
SEO 101 Slides (PDF-file)
Use SEO tools to evaluate your progress
Online SEO Tools
- SEOmoz Tools – A comprehensive suite of SEO tools (some require paid subscription)
- Yahoo! Site Explorer – Examine who’s linking to your site.
- SEOmoz Term Target – Assigns a letter-grade to a page that represents how well certain keywords are targeted.
SEO Browser Extensions
- SEOmoz Toolbar (Firefox and Chrome)
- SEO Site Tools (Chrome)
- Quirk SearchStatus (Firefox)
- SEO Quake (Firefox, Chrome & Safari)
- SEObook – SEO for Firefox
WordPress SEO Tools
- All in One SEO Pack – Allows you to customize just about everything related to SEO.
Learn more about SEO
- Google Search Engine Optimization Starter Guide (PDF file)
- SEOmoz Search Engine Ranking Factors – Report from collective wisdom of 37 leaders in the world of organic search engine optimization.
- SEOmoz Beginners Guide to SEO
- SEO Infographics from Elliance – Learn SEO visually with these infographics.